Genuine old Indian kadhai fire pit. Large handcrafted iron bowl previously used for cooking food can now be repurposed as a unique and very special outdoor fire pit.
Kadhai Background Story
Our genuine old Indian kadhais were originally used for cooking large quantities of food at festivals and weddings. A fire would be lit underneath and food simmered or fried inside. They are frequently seen on the roadside where vendors cook and sell their street food. No longer suitable for cooking, they can be repurposed as a very special and unique outdoor fire place. Each one is handmade by nomadic Indian traders and has characteristics as individual as the person who crafted it. No two kadhais are the same.
We purchase these kadhais ethically from Rajasthan India when they are no longer suitable for cooking food. The individual age is unknown, they can be up to 100 years old. They all bear the patina of previous use. Many are crusty with burnt sugar.
Select your kadhai
Photos here are examples only. Sizes from 80-140cm diameter are available but supply is limited and depends on availability. Tell us the size and features you want and we will send photos for you to choose.
Pick up and Delivery
- * You can select and collect your fire pit from our workshop in Dandenong South, Melbourne VIC. Please call first to ensure what you want is available- not all stock is onsite.
- * We deliver throughout Australia. Please contact us for a delivery quote at: email@example.com or via the ‘contact us for delivery quote’ button.
- * Please tell us the size you want and the delivery postcode. Due to the variations in this product, we calculate delivery depending on dimensions and postcode
Kadhais can be used in other ways:
- * in summer, they can be filled with ice to keep drinks cold.
- * as a very special planter. Bright green foliage contrasts beautifully against the iron.
- * to store firewood.